MIT Admissions


Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Got Questions?


Transfer - Credit

posted in: Transfer

After admission as a transfer student, you can expect to receive credit for subjects of study that are substantively equivalent to corresponding MIT subjects. If your academic record doesn't appear to merit credit in a certain subject, you may be allowed to demonstrate that you are entitled to such credit by passing an Advanced Standing Examination.

You may compare the courses offered at your institution to those offered at MIT with the MIT Bulletin (Course and Degree Catalogue). The MIT Bulletin provides a comprehensive description of the Institute's academic programs. 

Transfer students typically lose at least one semester of course work. Most students enter MIT as sophomores, regardless of the amount of coursework they completed at their previous college(s).

Was this article helpful to you?